Fixing the clock rate when refining an H3N2 phylogenetic tree?

Hi,

Thanks for creating this platform! I’m just getting started with augur and I have a question about using the “augur refine” command to further improve an H3N2 phylogenetic tree that I built using the “augur tree” command (with FastTree). I noticed that in the Zika tutorial, the clock_rate is fixed to be 0.0008. I wonder in the case of refining an H3N2 tree, is it also a good idea to fix the clock rate (instead of letting treetime estimate the rate from the data)? If so, what would be a suitable number?

Many thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Hi Jane! I’m not sure there’s a single correct answer here. I think it depends on what you’re trying to do with the build, over which time scale you have samples.

The Nextstrain-maintained seasonal-flu build fixes the clock rate, see this workflow file: seasonal-flu/workflow/snakemake_rules/core.smk at 9a77301b4f9c58a8e948b0f7231134fcc3fe39b8 · nextstrain/seasonal-flu · GitHub

The clockrates for all types and segments are defined here: seasonal-flu/workflow/snakemake_rules/core.smk at 9a77301b4f9c58a8e948b0f7231134fcc3fe39b8 · nextstrain/seasonal-flu · GitHub

I’m not a flu expert so I don’t know about all the caveats here, but this might be a good starting point.

Best,

Cornelius