Map NextStrain names to others?

Hi, I’m a computational scientist who works on plant and human genomes, with just a hobby interest in SARS-Cov-2. When I see a news item on, say, “B117” in England, I’m curious to see where it falls on the phylotree. But “B117” turns up nothing on a strain search – is there a resource to map strain IDs from, say, wherever “B117” comes from to the ID in your phylogeny?

Hi @sammyjava - Nextstrain recently updated their clade designations to include 20I/501Y.V1 for B.1.1.7 – see their blog post Updated Nextstrain SARS-CoV-2 clade naming strategy.

B.1.1.7 is a “PANGO lineage” – see https://cov-lineages.org/ for more info.

1 Like

Hi @sammyjava , the NextStrain and Pangolin nomenclatures use different criteria for defining a clade/lineage, so they names don’t map perfectly to each other. In general, the pangolin names (e.g. B.1.1.7) are more granular than the the NextStrain names (i.e. they are splitters rather than lumpers).

If you want to get a sense of how they compare, you can get these classifications for the sequences in the GISAID repository – they provide both NextStrain and Pangolin nomenclature.

Also covariants.org provides some synonyms in their descriptions.

Best,
Adam

1 Like